QuickSchools has a new Transcripts module going into Private Beta. This module works well with our recent Master Scheduler addition (also in Private Beta). Both modules make use of our new Courses and Subject Areas features. As a result, the new Transcripts has a few key features that make it different from our existing Transcripts module.
Key differences / features are discussed here:
- View/Edit Transcripts from the Students module
- Select courses from your Course Catalog (also used by Master Scheduler)
- Select school/district (for transfer grades) from a central list of Institutions that you manage
- Copy Grades from Report Cards (instead of from Gradebook)
- Manage Subject Areas (also used by Master Scheduler), and Graduation Requirements
- Display Credit Summary in Transcripts
- Separate Details Report on Graduation
NOTE: This new beta feature can freely be turned on for new schools. But for schools that are already using our existing Transcripts module, there is migration process that needs to take place. Please contact support if you’d like to try out this new feature, and please indicate if you need to migrate any existing Transcript data to the new Transcript module.
View/Edit Transcripts from the Students module
When you click on a student record, there will be a new “Transcripts” tab that will allow you to view/edit Transcript grades for that student:
When adding a new semester section, you can select a school/district from a list of institutions:
When adding/editing a Transcripts record, you can select from a preset list of Courses:
Copy Grades from Report Cards
Instead of having the final grades from the Gradebook appear in the Transcripts, this new version allows you to copy grades from the Report Cards instead:
So the flow of grades is as follows:
- Teachers enter grades into the Gradebook. This is the teachers domain. Teachers are free to manage grades for each student.
- Teachers submit final grades to the Report Cards. If teachers are not using the Gradebook, they can enter grades directly into the report cards. Grades in the Report Cards can also be overridden, if needed.
- Administrator will then select a report card session to be copied to the Transcripts. Remember that the Report Cards module can be used to create report cards and progress reports at various intervals (mid terms, end of quarter, end of semester, etc). But administrator will only want to transfer relevant grades to the Transcripts (for example, only end-of-semester or end-of-year grades). Administrators have full flexibility on which grade to copy over, and when to copy them over as well.
Subject Areas and Graduation Requirements
You can link courses to subject areas, and then specify a credit requirement for each subject area. Subject Areas and Courses are managed with the Master Scheduler under “District Settings”:
Once subject areas and courses are set up, you can use the “Graduation Requirements” menu to specify number of credits for each subject area, as well as how to handle that particular subject area:
Then you can run a report to see courses that contribute to the various subject areas, as well as required and remaining credits for each subject area:
Finally, you can also configure your transcripts to display a credit summary for the student (i.e. list of subject areas, total credit required, and total credits completed for each subject area):
As mentioned earlier, this new Transcripts module is in Private Beta. If you are interested in trying out this module, please contact QuickSchools support. If you are not using our new Master Scheduler, and/or if you have existing subjects, this feature may not be available for you yet. But please indicate your interest to us, so that we can prioritize improvements to support your case.
As always, we value your feedback and support. Please feel free to leave a comment, and come chat with us online.
Have a great summer, everyone!